Tuesday 9 June 2015

The Simplicity of Sourdough


I bake some kind of bread every couple of days.  There is nothing like having fresh bread with dinner and it often steals the show.  A few years ago, I began a sourdough starter, which is what I often dip into to make up a quick couple of loaves.  My starter is on the verge of needing to be divided again, so I thought I might entice you to want to try it yourself (and take it off my hands!).  If you live across the miles, and cannot grab some of mine, you can easily make it yourself.  Keep it on hand to have quick, easy fresh bread any day of the week.

Making the Starter

1 package of traditional yeast
2 C. warm water
2 C. all-purpose flour
In a large, non-metallic bowl, mix together all ingredients and cover loosely.  Leave in a warm place to ferment, 4-8 days.  When mixture is bubbly and has a sour smell, it is ready to use.  Transfer to a storage container and keep it in the fridge (I use Becel margarine tubs...I know, fancy!).

Using the Starter

When you are ready to bake, bring the starter to room temperature.  I usually put it on the counter the night before, but a couple of hours at room temperature will work just fine.  You will notice that a light brown liquid may have accumulated on top (this is good news!) so just mix your starter up before you use it so it has a uniform consistency.  When you use some of your starter in a recipe, you will have to replenish it (just replace what you used with equal parts flour and water).  For example, in the following recipe, I use 1 1/4 C. of starter.  So, stir back into the starter 1 1/4. flour, 1 1/4. water, and a pinch of sugar.  Stir until incorporated and leave it on the counter for about an hour until it starts to bubble a bit.  Then, back into the fridge it goes until you need it again!  Sourdough starters improve with age so think of the great wedding gift you can give your children one day!! (not to mention how excited the grandchildren will be on their wedding days!)  There are tons of different uses for starters, but my "go to" bread recipe is as follows:

Sourdough Bread Recipe

1 1/4 C. sourdough starter
1/2 C. warm water
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I use canola because my canola-growing husband says I have to)
3 C. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. quick-rise yeast
Now, here's the really tricky part.  Put everything into a bowl and mix it together.  I'm not even joking.  You can throw it in a bread-maker or the bowl of a stand-mixer and just let it go.  You could  mix it by hand but I am WAY too lazy for that, so I never have.  Mix until the dough comes together and then knead it until smooth and elastic (5-10 minutes).  Put dough into a large greased bowl, cover lightly with a clean towel and let rise for about an hour in a warm spot (I put mine in the oven with the light on).  It will rise beautifully...I guarantee it!  Punch dough down, and form into two loaves as pictured above, or you can make smaller loaves, buns, round, long, whatever you like!  I have been known to make loaves in the shape of Mickey Mouse, turkeys, Easter Bunnies, or trademarked logos that could get me in trouble (see below).  Whatever you choose, let rise for another hour on a lightly greased baking sheet or stone.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes and then just try and wait for those babies to cool down enough before you slice into them.  That's the hardest part of the whole process!



No comments:

Post a Comment