Thursday 4 June 2015

I Don't Think I Can Do This


I tell you what...I don’t know if I can do this.  I am so out of shape and am nursing some kind of injury where my whole right leg and back hurts with any kind of jarring motion.  I do not want to offend anyone with this comment, but I run like an amputee.  Actually no, most amputees run better than me!!  I keep telling myself not to panic…I have a whole 220 days until the Walt Disney World Marathon.  But then I remember that I’m signed up for the Queen City Half Marathon and that is only 101 days away!  This is a very, very scary situation.  The good news is, I am treating the QCM as a “training” run for the full marathon.  It’s not my "big" race, so I’m not looking for a great time, I just want to finish it.  Which, at this point, is going to be questionable.    

This week the fabulous people at QCM released their new routes so I have looked at the Half Marathon course a bit.  I love that we are going to spend so much time around Wascana Park, and a spin through downtown Regina will be a treat.  I thought perhaps we could have made a run past Milky Way, but I likely wouldn’t have gotten myself going again after that, so it’s probably for the best.

The only bad thing about not going east of Ring Road is that I always found the spectators over there had the best signs.  So the rest of Regina is going to need to step it up!  We NEED those signs!  My favourite one of all time was “You can’t quit!  You’re not the Pope!!”  It’s funny how something like that can pull you through just a little bit longer.  

My annual “Deanna’s Week of Awesomeness in Regina” is coming up at the beginning of July.  This is the week out of the year that the kids are in day camps so I spend my time doing what I want to do in the city.  I’ll get to the Farmer’s Market, go somewhere new for lunch, and go to a movie all by myself!  It is absolute heaven!  

I will walk the new Half Marathon route sometime that week and may have more to say about it after that.  All in all, I think it looks great!  I am also very excited to have everything based in the Conexus Arts Centre area.  It's easy to access and has great parking and awesome food so I’m already looking forward to post-race refreshments!  Why does everything always come back to food??  That really may explain a lot of my problems!!

For all you thinking, "I could never do that", trust me I thought that too (and still am at this very moment), but there is a distance for everybody!  Registration is still open at www.runqcm.com.  If running or walking is truly not your thing, there's room for volunteers (I'm signed up for that too!) and if nothing else, start thinking up witty and distracting signage to cheer on the runners.  Believe me, I will be watching for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment