Tuesday 2 June 2015

My Cookbook Collection


I’ve published more cookbooks than most Celebrity Chefs.  Of course, I only sell four per year (and I buy them all myself to hand out as gifts), so the proceeds aren’t very good.  But I still consider myself an author.

It started out as an idea, many years ago, to keep track of great recipes I find that I don't want to lose.  I also had the idea to add photos from the year since I stopped printing photographs a long, long time ago.  So, at least this way, when my computers, Facebook, and Instagram crash (don't even get me started on the mysterious cloud), I do have the odd image of the kids from their childhoods.  Of course, it will be of them next to a Lasagna recipe, but at least it's something!!

I also created a special edition Masterchef Canada book this year to keep track of all the recipes I prepared for my auditions, on the show, and that I cooked in media appearances.  So in all, my first book dates back to 2008 and I now have 8 editions.  Every fall I curse myself when I have to start putting it together as it is such a big pain!  But it’s kind of like a long run…you’re always glad you did it once it’s over!

I wish all my friends had the collection as well so when someone asks for my "such and such" recipe, I can just say, “It’s in the 2011 book!  Go look there!”  But sadly, that is not the case, and to save us all the trouble, here are a couple of recipes that I have given out too many times to count:  


Chocolate Chip Cookies (2008 Edition)

1 C.  butter or margarine
3/4 C. white sugar
3/4 C. brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips (who am I kidding? may as well make it 2 cups!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  With mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until creamy.  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.  Stir flour mixture into egg mixture, just until combined.  Add chocolate chips.  Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets (I use the Pampered Chef medium scoop).  Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are beginning to brown at the edges and are set, but are still soft in the centre.

Salted Toffee - Chocolate Squares (2010 Edition)

approximately 2 sleeves of graham crackers
1 8 oz. bag toffee bits (aka Skor bits)
1 1/2 C. chopped pecans
1/2 C. sugar
1 C. butter or margarine
3/4 C. semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 tsp. coarse salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and place graham crackers in a single layer to cover the sheet.  Sprinkle the crackers with the toffee bits and pecans.  In a small saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes, until syrupy.  Pour over crackers and bake for 12 minutes, until topping is bubbly.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips and salt over top.  Immediately cut into 24 squares.  Chill in fridge until hardened and then break apart into squares.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea on publishing this Deanna. What company did you use to produce the books? I have some old stand-by recipes that I would like to preserve in book form rather than the numerous books that are falling apart. :) Or I've had an idea for a family cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Shutterfly so I can upload and design everything myself and they just print them off and send them to me or to whomever I want. I also like that it stores all my old cookbooks, so if I need a new copy, it's just a click away.

    ReplyDelete