Thursday 18 June 2015

How to Train in  Saskatchewan

Thousands of years from now, when school children are learning about Saskatchewan Mythology, I will be referred to as "Deanna, the Goddess of Wind", because apparently I control its direction with my running.  As in, whichever direction I am going, the wind will shift so that I am running directly into it.  Of course, when you train running into the wind, it helps when you travel away for a race because you may not have that weather factor to contend with.  Although Saskatchewan is flat so I don't get any experience with hill training until it's too late.  So, it all evens out in the end.

Okay, so we've discussed the wind.  Next thing you need to think about when running out in the country at this time of year are the sprayers.  There is nothing worse than running down a road and seeing a high clearance sprayer coming at you, booms down.  If this should occur, take a quick survey of the wind.  Is it coming directly at you?  Well, of course it is.  So the trick is to plan your breaths so that you take one deep one just before the cloud of spray hits you so you can hold your breath until it dissipates.  This takes some practice.  Lucky for me, I usually hold my breath when I run so I'm pretty good at this.  It gets a little trickier when the spray planes come out as they can sneak up on you pretty fast.  I usually step outside in the morning and listen for planes.  If there seems to be one around, I'll have another cup of coffee or dawdle a bit longer because they move pretty fast and they're not usually around very long.  But the principles are the same...you hear/see a plane coming at you, check the wind, time your breath, and hold.  And you're going to have a shower when you get home anyway, so you'll be fine!
Pictured here is my run route.  It's a 5 mile lap which brings me past our house so if I am making more than one lap, I can stop at the bathroom.  I run clockwise, because I am OCD.  Inevitably I will play a game of "chicken" with some piece of farm equipment around the red square marker.  It's usually the same person.  No matter the time of day, he's always moving something (you know who you are).  So, in Saskatchewan, you also have to watch out for the farm implements.  And my apologies for all of you who come up behind me because we all know I can't hear you coming and am usually in the middle of the road.  I know for sure that this is how I'll die, and I'm okay with that.  I do try and wear a colour that will stand out.  Last year I was on a bright yellow kick, and was fairly proud of myself for being so visible until I realized the crops were blooming and I was running between canola fields.

Proof-reading this, I realize it's a bloody miracle I have survived this long.  The farmers probably have a pool on who will get me first.  And I'm okay with that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment