Thursday 13 August 2015

Queen City Marathon Preview


We are now exactly a month away from the Queen City Marathon.  Does this thought terrify anyone else, or are you all just way more prepared than I am?  Last month, I had a bit extra time around Regina one day and decided I would take a run/walk around the new half marathon course.  So, I parked at Conexus Arts Centre and embarked on the route with map in hand.  I also had points plotted out where I could bail on the idea and get back to my car in a fairly timely manner.  I was successful in completing the whole route (albeit at a snail’s pace), despite the city NOT shutting traffic down for my journey.  I guess I didn’t put my request in in time.

I had a few thoughts of the new course that I’d like to share with you as we get closer to race day.  Keep in mind, this is with regards to the half marathon, not the full, because I am not THAT crazy.  Wait, I AM that crazy…just not until January.  I am really excited about it and I can see why organizers were able to add so many more bibs because the route is much wider than it was before (for example, there are no narrow pathways through Wascana Park).  I think this wide course is going to be very comfortable and we will see some really good times come from it as there will be less “jockeying” around other runners.  So, this is really great news!  

I love the loop through Downtown Regina and overall we are going to run past some really great Regina landmarks: Conexus Arts Centre, Wascana and Victoria Parks, the Downtown Plaza, Legislative Building (scrims and all), Science Centre, etc.  I am also super excited about the ease of access and parking that we are going to find at Conexus Arts Centre!  In fact, it will be so easy that I think spectators will be able to see their runner off, drive to another route location, and drive back in time to see them finish (without any fear of losing a prized parking space).  Speaking of Conexus, I have tried to obtain insider information about what may replace the Pasta Party Saturday night but have been unsuccessful.  I hope we will have an event of some sort since, as I have mentioned previously, a lot of useful information can be gained by listening to the speakers.

I am very excited for the people who live along Quinn Drive. as they are going to have one heck of an exciting parade to watch Sunday morning.  I wish I lived in one of those houses so I could sit on the lawn, drink coffee, and cheer as people run by.  I am counting on that street to have the great, inspirational signs which we all look forward to, so it’s all on you, Quinn Drive!  Speaking of spectators, I think a great spot to watch will be around Candy Cane Park.  Runners will make a pass on either side of it so spectators would get to see their runner twice in that area, and then could still drive back to the finish line!

My 8 year old girl has decided she would like to run the 3K again but my 13 year old boy has decided he is far too lazy.  Unfortunately, I missed both of their runs last year as I was at MasterChef Canada during QCM weekend.  I love that the mini-marathon is now on Saturday so that I will get to run with her (or I will coerce someone else into running with her and will relax around the finish line).  If you’re looking for me, I will also be volunteering during parcel pickup on Friday from 11:00 to 5:00 so please come by and say “Hello”!  In the meantime, take care and best of luck to everyone as the days tick down!

No comments:

Post a Comment