Thursday 27 August 2015

Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend


We are now one week away from Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend and although I am not lucky enough to get to participate this year, I thought I would give you a recap of last year’s event.  It also might help to explain why I love RunDisney events so much and how I have managed to get myself suckered into the biggest race of the year.  After I ran the Wine & Dine Half Marathon in November, 2013, my mind immediately went to “Dumbo Double Dare” because I felt like if I went back for a RunDisney race, I would have to "up" my game and I didn’t think I was crazy enough to "up" it to the full marathon.  So, when registration opened for the Disneyland Half Marathon, I immediately pulled the trigger.  And being a spoiled Disney Vacation Club member, I got to register early and secured a coveted spot in the Dumbo Double Dare (10K race on Saturday plus Half Marathon on Sunday).

Disneyland Half Marathon runs Labour Day Weekend so my grain-farmer husband couldn’t come, but because the kids were still out of school, I felt guilty about the thought of going to Disneyland without them.  I also liked the idea of us all having a RunDisney medal around our necks.  I knew I could complete the races while they waited in the hotel room, but I got to worrying that if something did happen to me on the course, they may be quite traumatized having to fly my body home!  So, we asked Grandma to come along.  I was particularly impressed when she also decided to participate in the 5K.  In the end, someone from our household ran in each of the events that weekend:  Our 7 year old daughter ran the 400m Kids Race, our 12 year old son ran the 5K, and I ran the 10K and Half Marathon.  So we have a lot of experience with the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend! 

We decided to splurge by staying at the Disneyland Hotel.  We usually stay at a Good Neighbour Hotel at Disneyland but in the case of a race weekend, the Disneyland Hotel was a far superior choice.  The Fitness Expo is right there, and we were able to attend it several times.  It was great to be able to pop in to hear a speaker, grab a Clif Shot Gel that I forgot to bring from home, or have an injury taped up.  The hotel is also located right by the start and finish lines so it was just a quick walk.  You really can’t beat the convenience of Disneyland Hotel so I would recommend it to everyone heading down for a race weekend.  And when I say we “splurged”, I booked through GET Travel which is the travel operator for RunDisney and the rate was excellent and so well worth the money.  We also purchased our park tickets through GET Travel and got an amazing deal! 

The 5K event was Friday morning and shortly after it sold out, I regretted not signing myself up for it, but it was Grandma and Matthew who participated in this one.  It was great for Emily and I to be able to see them start, and finish, the race.  I was really proud of them both.  It is worth noting that the 5K events get all the bells and whistles of the bigger races.  RunDisney does an amazing job of making every distance so special and it is heartwarming to see every age and athletic ability be rewarded at the end for their hard work.  


Saturday morning I ran the 10K which was a lot of fun because you get to go through the theme parks, without having to run a terribly long distance.  The kids races happened later on in the morning and I really wanted to be at the end so I could see Emily finish.  I waited in the corral with her hoping she would let me escape to the finish line to see her cross, but she wanted me to run the 400m with her.  So I did: in my flip flops, with my camera and 10K medal around my neck, carrying a coffee.  She beat me fair and square.  I could not catch her.  I was so so proud of all my runners that weekend and was so glad I brought them with me.


Sunday morning delivered the Half Marathon.  My biggest fear through the whole weekend was that after all the expense involved in traveling, all the miles put into training, and with all those medals on the line, for some reason I would not be able to complete the Half Marathon.  I wasn’t afraid of giving up.  I was afraid of being unconscious and having to be removed from the course.  So please, if you ever find me unconscious on a RunDisney course, don’t remove me!!  I will come around…eventually!  Once again, we got to run through our beloved theme parks and although I would love to tell you all about it, I really remember very little.  I can still see the World of Color Fountains which were dancing for us, and I remember running through Radiator Springs and down Route 66.  Coming through the Sleeping Beauty's Castle is clear, as is New Orleans Square, which is possibly my favourite location in all of Disneyland.  But otherwise, the visions are cloudy.  I didn’t stop for any characters, although the Villains really tempted me as I love a good Villain (or bad Villain, depending on how you look at it).  It really is amazing to run through the backstage areas and around the virtually empty theme parks that you love so much.  There are cast members and volunteers lining the course and waving with Mickey hands.  It is the best and makes me tear up just thinking about it.


By the time runners get out into the streets of Anaheim, the view isn’t as exciting, but you’re getting pretty numb to it all so it doesn’t matter that much!  Race organizers did their best setting us up for fun along the route.  There is a huge car show, which provided lots of encouraging spectators, and of course the run around Honda Center and through Angels Stadium is pretty cool.  Another runner I was visiting with at the start of the race told me that a tip to the Half Marathon is to make it to Honda Center before the sun comes up so you aren’t running into it.  I can’t say for sure if that’s a legitimate concern, as I did get around Honda Center in time and didn’t have any trouble with the sun, but others may want to consider it.


As I neared Disneyland Resort, I realized two things.  First of all, my time was so much better than I anticipated that I thought Grandma might not get the kids to the finish line in time to see me.  Secondly, I realized that if I kept it up, we could be in Disneyland before rope drop, thus guaranteeing Emily a coveted spot in the Anna and Elsa Meet and Greet line!!  So, it was the thought of her getting to meet those girls that made me keep up my record-breaking pace.  Coming up that last stretch of Disneyland Way, in front of the Disneyland Hotel where the family was going to be waiting for me, I started to scan the crowd to see if they were there.  Fortunately, Grandma is tall and I spotted them right away.  They had made it!  And no sooner did I pass them, I could see the finish line, the most beautiful thing you will ever see, and the thing you have been imagining for so many months.  One step across that line and I had earned four medals in two days, and achieved a personal record of 1:43:43, a record I have no intention of ever beating because there is nowhere else I would rather run a personal best than at Disneyland.  


We did make it into Disneyland before park opening to get ourselves into the Frozen Meet and Greet line.  And do you know what?  Not only did Emily get to meet Anna and Elsa, but I did too!  And like any good Princess, they really liked my bling!  We walked around Disneyland all day long with our medals on and I drew a lot of attention as four medals clanked against each other.  People would stop and turn to see what the noise was and their faces would light up when they realized what I had accomplished, and soon there was a whole park full of us clanking along.  By the end of the day I had a terrible headache from all the noise, but I would not take them off.  I had worked too hard.


There is truly nothing like a RunDisney race and I guess that's why I am in the trouble I am now, training for the full marathon just 136 days away.  In the meantime, I want to send my very best wishes to everyone running in any of the Disneyland Half Marathon races this year!  I want you to know that you CAN do it, I WILL be thinking of all of you, and I WILL be following along via social media to see how you are doing.  But most of all, I send to each and every one of you, the three most important things: 
FAITH, TRUST, and PIXIE DUST!


No comments:

Post a Comment