Saturday 11 July 2015

Wascana Wanderings


This past week was my annual “Week of Awesomeness in Regina” where the kids are at camp so I get to do what I want to do around the city, and it always includes lots of time in Wascana Centre.  In past years, I have also gone to the movies by myself and enjoyed ice cream at Milky Way without any children chattering in my ear.  Unfortunately, my pants are entirely too tight this year to be rewarded with any Milky Way.  However, I did get a few good runs in around Wascana which is always a treat for me as I’m used to running between crops, with nothing particularly interesting to look at (but don't tell the farmers their crops are not interesting to look at...I've learned this the hard way).  I love seeing every age and level of athletic ability in the park, appreciate the challenge of playing sprinkler roulette, and my mind is allowed to wander in a whole new set of ways...

Does anyone else think the geese may be pooping less now that we can’t feed them bread crumbs?  I spend a lot of time trying not to step in droppings (yes, it is a hopeless battle) and I feel like perhaps there is a bit less of it out there this year.  I think the geese may be generally in the way less this year as well.  Perhaps because they’re not looking for bread.  Or, are there just less geese because they are peeved about not getting the bread that I was saving for them all winter??  Maybe they have moved to another park.  That one goose who decides he/she does not want to move out of my way is still there though.  What it doesn’t know is that I play “chicken” with large farm implements, so I am not afraid to steamroll it.  

I noticed that not everyone runs clockwise.  Why is this?  Isn’t everyone crazy like me?  Or are they just backwards crazy?  In any case, clockwise is the way to go!  However, I do like to meet the "counter-clockwise people" and see who’s out for a stroll.  Last year, I swore I saw Mr. Dressup and then I had an extra jump in my step trying to quickly make my way around to meet him again for a better look.  Never saw him again…of course.

I often find myself cursing the people who walk right down the middle of the path so you can’t get around them, but this week I noticed myself right in the middle as well.  I realized that I am prone to run down the middle the more tired I get, to avoid rolling right into the lake.  So, my apologies in advance if you have to take the grass to get around me because I’m weaving and staggering.  

All in all, I love Wascana Centre…just love it!  You are so lucky to have such a gem, Regina, and I hope that everyone takes advantage of it this summer!  Just hold onto your keys.  Because when you drop them in the park, it’s really, really NOT fun to try and track them down.  Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment