Tuesday 7 July 2015

Saskatoon Berry Butter Tart Bars


 I have become known for working with Saskatoon Berries (aren’t we all on the Prairies?).  I can’t even imagine how many pounds I went through testing recipes in the last year.  I considered them my lucky charm during MasterChef Canada as I used them in both of my successful audition dishes, as well as the “Signature Dish” I pitched to them in my original application.  Come to think of it, the first time I didn’t use Saskatoons was the dish I was eliminated on!  And here we are, on the Eve of their reappearance at the Regina Farmer’s Market, and I suspect orchards and markets throughout the Prairies!  Everyone shout with me, 
“The Saskatoons are here!!  The Saskatoons are here!!”
In celebration, I have created for you a new recipe to highlight our beloved berry:  Saskatoon Berry Butter Tart Bars.
Elbows up, everyone!  It’s Saskatoon Berry time!!


The Buttery Base

2 C. flour
3/4 C. icing sugar
1 C. butter
Mix together until smooth and press into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until slightly golden along the edges.


The Buttery Berry Topping

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 C. corn syrup
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. vanilla

1/3 C. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. melted butter
2 C. Saskatoon Berries

Whisk together eggs, corn syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, flour and butter, and then add into egg mixture and mix well.  Fold in the Saskatoons.  Pour mixture over top of the crust, evening out the berries.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until topping is set and lightly golden.  Let cool (as long as you can...it’s hard to wait) and then slice into 24 bars.


No comments:

Post a Comment