Wednesday 14 September 2016

runDisney Virtual Running  Shorts


Many Disney fans spend incredible amounts of time trying to find ways to relive the magic when we get home from vacation. We watch Disney movies after a day spent trying to recreate Dole Whips and churros.  We listen to podcasts for the latest news, and watch attraction videos online.  We make popcorn and watch livestreams of parade and fireworks.  We do what we have to do.  

This summer, fans of runDisney got an even more amazing way to bring Disney home.  We were offered the opportunity to participate in the runDisney Virtual Running Shorts Series, three different virtual 5Ks during the months of May and June with an epic Disney medal as a reward.  As you can imagine, someone like me, (who has travelled thousands of miles, many times to run Disney) jumped at this chance.  In true runDisney fashion, a challenge was also put on the line: Run all three 5Ks and receive a fourth medal!  And so our race registrations promptly went in.  Of course, I would collect all the Disney bling I could get for myself, and also registered each of my other family members for a 5K.

Since I was already in training for the Disneyland Paris Half Marathon, over the course of the six week runDisney Virtual Running Shorts Series, I ran a total of fourteen 5Ks and seven 10Ks.  But, I chose three of them to run somewhere really special in our city, Regina, Saskatchewan, to “earn my medal”:



Yellow Shoes - 5K at Depot Division, Home of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Red Pants - 5K around Saskatchewan Legislative Building and it’s newly unveiled copper dome

White Gloves - 5K around Wascana Lake with my kids (who also earned their medals)
 
I hope that we see many more runDisney virtual races in the future.  The medals are as beautiful as the ones I have travelled, and run dozens of miles to earn!  Although we will never be able to duplicate the magic of a true runDisney event with a virtual race, if you have a little Faith, Trust, and a touch of Pixie Dust, you just might catch a glimpse of Mickey at your finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment