Wednesday 3 February 2016

My MasterChef Canada Story: The Finale


MasterChef Canada Season 3 is upon is!  The last few months I have been wondering what I would feel like at this moment.  A new crop is born.  My friends and I are the “old” home cooks.  Would the unveiling of the new cast of characters leave us Season 2 finalists completely forgotten?  Probably, yes.  In fact, even the kid at the elementary school who used to shout at me “Hi, Mrs. MasterChef!!” is back to addressing me “ Hi, Emily’s Mom!!”  But now that it is here, I realize I am okay!  I am very excited about the new season and am thrilled for the forty home cooks whose lives are being changed as they help to promote the show.  Of course, most of those will see very little time on television but for now, they must pretend that they could be the big winner!!  I found this hard to do when we were getting ready for the launch of Season 2.  We couldn’t give away any indication of where we would place, so even though I knew I would only see two episodes, I had to put on the face of a potential champion.  It was hard for me to see my Province, friends, and family get so excited when I knew they would be let down in just a couple of weeks.  But, that’s what I signed up for, so that’s what I did.  

I have promised for months to tell you what Alvin Leung, the Demon Chef, said to me that made me laugh out loud.  And now that there are a new bunch of stories ready to be told, I had better wrap up my saga, so here it goes…

During my audition in Calgary, I was asked by one of our fabulous producers to talk about the people that I cook for.  At some point, I mentioned that I sit on a lot of boards for community groups and I like to bring baking to meetings to use them as guinea pigs.  For whatever reason, she thought my volunteerism was really interesting.  Those from small Saskatchewan towns know that this is not out of the ordinary, but perhaps a Toronto producer would think it to be so.  It also came out that I am married to the Mayor of our town, so once again, “First Lady” status must have sounded like a bigger deal than it really is in a town of 600 people!!

When I presented for the first time to the MasterChef Canada judges in Toronto, trying to earn my white apron, I was asked various questions by them.  You do see some of this on television, but as you can imagine, so, so much hits the cutting room floor.  These same types of questions about my presence in the community and volunteerism came up.  The judges all tasted my Ten-Layer Torte and then proceed to make comments and ask more questions. When it was the Demon Chef's turn, the conversation went something like this:

Alvin:  “So, you cook a lot for your town?  And they all think you’re food is excellent, right?" (insert Alvin’s voice here)
Deanna:  “Uhhh…well, I guess, I don’t get a lot of complaints when I bring people food.”
Alvin:  “So, everyone likes you and your food.  I don’t know…Maybe THEY ARE AFRAID OF YOU!!!”
Deanna:  “Hahahahahaha”

Then I quickly stifled my laughter, wondering if I was going to be in big trouble.  I don’t think we’ve seen footage of too many people laughing at the Demon Chef so I was fairly sure, it wouldn’t make the cut, but in any case, I will always remember the hilarity of that conversation.  Chef Alvin’s dead-pan, serious accusation that I was feared because of all the power I hold.  Pure comedy gold.

I would imagine when the new season begins on February 14 (with an online sneak peek this Sunday!!), we will see many entertaining home cooks and I am looking forward to seeing our fantastic judges again.  I have to be honest, I have already picked my favourite home cook, as my friend April Lee Baker has been named as a top 40 finalist!  I am so proud of her already and Sundays won’t come often enough so I can see the next episode.  I wish the very best of luck to April Lee and the other 39 cooks as they pursue the MasterChef Canada trophy.  I can’t wait to see it unfold.  And of course, all the best to Chefs Claudio, Michael, and Alvin, and to everyone at Proper Television and CTV for a fantastic season!!  I am so proud to remain part of the MasterChef family…even if I am now the elder generation!

No comments:

Post a Comment