Thursday 14 January 2016

Every Mile is Magic


I am a Walt Disney World Marathon Finisher.
Today I was thinking about how long I have been running and I realized I started just over 2 1/2 years ago, and here I am with a full marathon under my belt.  I spoke with a few different runners this past weekend, and when I told them it was my first marathon, they all said, "Ah, yes! The bucket list!"  But I realized that no, I have never had a marathon on my bucket list.  I never even would have dreamed that I could run one, but I just did.  I only knew that I didn't want to get any older and regret it if I had never tried, so I thought it would be smart to make an attempt sooner, rather than later.  And I knew if I was going to run 26.2 miles, there would be only one place I would do it:  Walt Disney World, where as they say, "Every Mile is Magic".  A downside of running at Disney World though is it is the only place on earth where you catch yourself saying, "I'm JUST running the Marathon", because some runners are participating in the Dopey Challenge, which includes all four races.  But it's also awesome because it's the only place on earth where you can call someone "Dopey" and it is a compliment. "Hey look kids, he's Dopey!  Good job, Dopey!"  It was fabulous.

The Marathon is the only race of the year where runners get to travel through all four theme parks, including backstage areas, which for a Disney fan like me is the ultimate golden ticket.  I was also excited to find that I was running in the daylight (or near daylight) through the three theme parks that I had previously run through at night, so I got to see them in a different way.  I did run through the Magic Kingdom in the total dark, which was amazing because of all the lights on Main Street USA and on the Castle, which brings me to my first race highlight.

We entered the Magic Kingdom from the east, at the south end of Main Street, heading towards the Christmas tree.  There were spectators lining the street, screaming and cheering.  It was amazing!  I believe I shouted "Hello, Magic Kingdom!!" and took a good look at all of them because I knew in a moment I was going to turn the corner and there would be only one thing I would see.  And then it happened, in just a matter of seconds, I took a right hand turn and there it was, Cinderella's Castle in all its sparkling glory.  I ran towards it, Christmas wreaths lining the Main Street shops, cheering spectators packed along the left, cast members on our right, and I just kept thinking "Remember this. Remember this moment."  And I know I always will.

When you are not running through a theme park, there is entertainment along the way, including character meets and photo opportunities, DJs, and lots of water and snack stops (thank you sponsors!).  One of my favourite of these places was a pair of entertainers around mile 11.  They were wearing microphones so we could hear them for quite a while as we did a u-turn at that spot.  The banter went something like, "You guys are looking great!  Keep up the pace!  We hope you can come back tomorrow for the marathon!"
"Yes, they'll be all warmed up from this nice Sunday jog by then!"
"You do know, this is just the line up for Toy Story Midway Mania, right?"
I was laughing out loud.

Anyone who has raced at Walt Disney World knows the hill where the Green Army Men camp out.  It is the Osceola Parkway off-ramp onto World Drive and you will find them "cheering" runners up the incline by yelling at us.  They are the only people (aka toys) in the world that I appreciate yelling at me.  "I know it's hard to run in glass slippers.  But guess what, ladies???  You're not wearing glass slippers, YOU'RE WEARING SNEAKERS!!  NOW GET MOVING!!"  It's absolutely the best and at mile 21, was one of the last things I remember as it got pretty foggy after that.

I must make mention of the signs because they are something I always look forward to.  There were so many signs, and I really only got the chance to read a few of them, but some of my favourites were:
"I got a blister just making this sign."
"Goonies never say die."
"Spoiler Alert: You are killing this race." (with a photo of Kylo Ren)
But my very favourite sign was held by a lovely woman just outside of Hollywood Studios, at approximately mile 23.5, that simply said, "You are going to finish a marathon today."
And I think that's when it hit me, as the tears welled up in my eyes.  Yes, I really was.

I finished the marathon in 4:40:26 and although it wasn't an earth-shattering time, I beat the goal I had set for myself and finished in the top 11% of women, and top 18% overall.  Not too shabby for someone who hadn't ever planned to run one.  Minnie Mouse was at the finish line and I veered over to get a high five from her before crossing the line.  And then it was time to choose the person who would put the medal around my neck.  Having gotten to hand out medals at the Queen City Marathon last fall, I knew how the volunteers near the end of the line didn't keep as busy, so I took my time.  I scanned their faces and then I made eye contact with this beautiful girl and I knew she was the one.  I walked up to her, she put the medal around my neck and said "Congratulations" and then I said to her, "This is my first marathon and I am never going to forget your face.  Thank you."  And I could tell she was touched as she said "I am never going to forget you either."

Last night, I was watching a show about the IronMan in Hawaii, and Sean Astin said something that spoke to me, as he has done before.  He said "For the rest of my life, I'll know that I did that.  And no one can ever take it away."  Of all the photos we took that weekend, those staged with Disney characters, of parade floats, our favourite foods, or against the backdrop of a beloved attraction, this one is my favourite.  The moment when I saw my son, the relief of battling something hard and emerging a winner.


During the flights home from Florida, I had a talk with each of the kids and said "Do you know why I wanted you to come?  Because I wanted you to see that you can do things that are hard.  And even if they're hard, and you're scared, and you don't think you can do it, you can."
Emily replied, "If you can dream it, you can do it.  Right, Mom?".  That's right.  That's so right.



2 comments:

  1. Great article, Deanna! Congratulations on this achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing Deanna! You are inspiring. - Hilary

    ReplyDelete